Matthew P. Kelly is a seasoned litigator with experience as counsel for both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts throughout the nation. He has a wide variety of experience litigating complex business disputes and class actions. Mr. Kelly has also assisted clients navigate complex government investigations conducted by state and municipal agencies, the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Litigated a $17 million fraudulent transfer action involving a Los Angeles art gallery and obtained a $4.5 million judgment through terminating sanctions against a corporate defendant and a $14 million summary judgment against main defalcator.
- Acted as general counsel to Orion Healthcare Bankruptcy Litigation Trust in support of recovery of nearly $90 million for estate.
- Obtained favorable ruling on a writ of mandate involving the improper assessment of various payments owed to the city in the wake of the dissolution of the Redevelopment Agency for the City.
- Led the internal investigation into the wrongdoing by the Superintendent Jose Fernandez of Centinela Valley Union School District.
- Litigated a $42 million federal civil rights claim against the Compton Unified School District and obtained a favorable summary judgment decision
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D. 2002 cum laude
- Articles Editor and Member, The University of Illinois Law Review, 2000-2002
- Editor, Journal of Comparative Labor Law and Public Policy, 2001-2002
- Harno Scholar
- Dean's List
- Lincoln Scholar
- Rickerts Award for Excellence in Legal Publishing
- Eastern Illinois University, B.A. 1997